Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The state of Champions

It's been almost a month since I bought Champions, and I'd like to talk a little bit about it and why I will not be continuing my subscription.

First off - Cryptic did an excellent job on this one. I said it all before but it really does feel like a superhero MMO. As fun as you would expect it to be and it offers what it should be offering.

The problem with it though, is that Champions really does not deliver what I usually would expect from its genre. Usually with MMOs, you get very diverse, addicting and large worlds where there is plenty to do and plenty to see. Champions doesn't do this, it feels more like a very casual online game with the MMO label slapped on it.

My other problem with it also relates to the above, in that the subscription fee is still the normal $15 a month, which is pretty lame. Champions just doesn't offer enough to get 15 bucks a month from me, not happening. 10 or even 5 would be reasonable.

What Champions is though, is a great casual superhero MMO. There is nothing wrong with the game itself - infact I greatly enjoyed my free month and will probably come back at some point - but Cryptic needs to consider that this is a PC MMO. I can see the Xbox 360 version being huge, but right now the PC version just isn't worth it with bigger and better things coming and already out.

 -Rav4ge

No comments:

Post a Comment