Sunday, November 30, 2008

WoW vs WAR

It’s been over a month since I’ve been playing WAR, and to be honest I’m not totally enjoying it. As an FPS guy, I like my MMORPGs competitive. WAR is definitely nothing but PvP focused, but it’s been getting a little old lately. I’ve found myself doing scenarios over and over, with my interest dwindling away every match.

Now lately I’ve been playing WoW. You would think such a PvP-centric person like myself would much prefer WAR over WoW, but that’s not the case. Here are a few reasons why I’m switching back to WoW.

PvE - The PvE in WoW is great. It’s fun and rewarding, and even though I’m not much of a PvE guy I’ve been enjoying WoW’s PvE. There’s simply alot to do in PvE.

The Graphics - I know alot dislike WoW’s cartoony graphics and much prefer WAR’s more “realistic” look but I personally think WoW’s displays are much more appealing and visually interesting. Alot of WAR feels unfinished and boring.

Battlegrounds - Here’s a suprise. Sure WAR has great PvP Scenarios but I really like the fast-paced style of WoW’s Battlegrounds, with battles going on all over the map. In WAR, it seems that everyone travels and one group, so it’s usually always 2 groups trying to push one another back. You can solo in a battleground and still do pretty well. The only thing I miss is the feature in WAR where you could join scenarios/battlegrounds from anywhere in the game.

Classes/Races - I like the races alot more in WoW. They’re pretty original apart from the staple Humans/Dwarves/Orcs/Elves. The classes are all great too, all evenly balanced and fun to play. Each one offers a different game experience. Also, I like the fact that most of the classes are available to all the races. In WAR if you want to play a certain class you are stuck with a certain race.

More items - Alot of times in WAR I would see people wearing the same stuff. That’s not the case in WoW. Everyone pretty much looks unique. I know WAR has the dye system and all, but even so WoW has much more customization.

Player Population - WoW has a massive amount of players. Servers are home to tons of players and the world is vastly populated. In WAR, there are only a few hundred people per realm. I’ve been in some areas that are so underpopulated that it felt like I was the only person in the game. It’s a strange feeling, being surrounded by only NPCs in a MMO.

Anyway, I’m not saying WAR is a bad game. It certaintly isn’t. Most of the reasons I wrote above really only have to do with the game being brand new. And like all MMOs, they take a while to grow in size and become polished. Who knows, maybe in a few months I’ll go back to WAR. But for now, WoW takes the cake.

-Rav4ge

No comments:

Post a Comment